Forgive me if I'm patronizing, but is there any surprise that a POSIX NFA implementation is slower than grep's DFA?

Oh, of course an NFA implementation will always be slightly slower but the memory footprint will also be smaller, which is a big advantage for embedded systems. But in this case, the basis of the comparison was not the GNU DFA implementation but the old libc-regex. At the moment, BSD grep in the base system uses the GNU regex engine but I built a local version for testing purposes that used libc-regex.

Gabor