On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Rick Macklem wrote:

Yes, using vfs_getnewfsid() does not solve the issue.

I noticed that Solaris looked up a fixed array vfssw[] exactly for
the purpose. I think a table like it is a good solution for fixing
fsid for each file system.

-- Hiroki
If anyone thinks using a fixed table to assign vfc_typenum for known
file system types is a bad idea, please let us know.

Fixed table sounds like a good plan.
Is there a reason for/against using a hash table for types that are not in the fixed table? The advantage would be that out-of-tree filesystems get a consistent typenum (modulo hash collisions), but there would be more overhead in maintaining the table.

-Ben Kaduk