On 10/11/2011 1:36 PM, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Dimitry Andric<d...@freebsd.org>  wrote:
On 2011-10-09 19:32, Larry Rosenman wrote:
I had gotten a PR about sysutils/lsof not compiling with clang.  I had
Vic Abell check it out, and the problem is NOT with lsof per se, but
with the system headers.

Is there a project afoot to update the system headers to make them clang
compilable?
The problem isn't that clang can't compile the system headers, but
normally these don't get included from userspace.  And they certainly
won't work as expected when you define _KERNEL in userspace, as the lsof
port foolishly does.  It probably can't be avoided in such a tool, though.

#ifdef _KERNEL/#endif protected part of system headers shall NEVER be
accessed by userland. It is a fault to have them present in
/usr/include. Linux got it right there, all those part are removed
upon headers' installation.

  - Arnaud
Then lsof would NOT be compilable / usable at all, as it delves into /dev/kmem to get information.

And it **NEEDS** to know what the structures are.

That is unless someone(tm) writes the Kernel interfaces to get the info.

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: l...@lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893