On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, Penta Upa wrote:

Yes that seems to be the problem. It will is for out of tree modules.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=161887 . I have to verify if
moving the module to /usr/src/ tree fixes the problem.

Thanks,
Penta

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM, K. Macy <km...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Someone was seeing the same issue with the vmtools kmod. The only
thing that might make sense is that the page lock array is defined as
being a different size in your kmod as in the kernel itself so the
lock corresponding to the page you're locking differs between the two
files.

Quoting from the PR,
Andriy Gapon <a...@freebsd.org> wrote:
A standalone module build doesn't get some important definitions from kernel config (e.g. via opt_global.h) and can be in a serious disagreement with the kernel. In particular, if a kernel is built with SMP option, but a module build doesn't have SMP defined, then they will have different definitions of PA_LOCK_COUNT and thus would work on different actual locks when manipulating the same page.

I am perhaps confused. Last I checked, bsd.kmod.mk caused '-include opt_global.h' to be passed on the command line. Is the issue just that the opt_global.h used for the kmod could be different from the actual kernel's opt_global.h, because KERNCONF was not specified and the header is generated at module-build time? In this case, clearly the onus is on the user to pass KERNCONF at module build time.

(I have gotten my laptop to panic in vm_page_free() with the page lock not owned, in OpenAFS' vop_getpages implementation, but I had previously attributed this to having an old -current snapshot on my laptop and openafs sources that were using freebsd major version for API decisions (we're not converted to __FreeBSD_version, yet). If there is a real problem here, I will need to care much more.)

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk