Mike,

These are my own perosnal findings with machines I've tinkered with.
Nothing scientific about them.  I did a few trials FTPing a 600MB file
around on a 100Mb switched network between to machines (they were not
identical, but used the same ones for both tests), once with Intel
PRO/100 adapters, and once with 3com parralel tasking (forgot the
model number) adapters.  I watched top both times, and noticed that
the Intels had lower interupt %s, and finished the job about 5-30
seconds faster (varied on each run).  Both machines used wu-ftpd and were running
FreeBSD
3.2 - R at the time.