On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Erich Dollansky
<erichfreebsdl...@ovitrap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the answer.
>
> More inside the e-mail.
>
> On Friday 20 April 2012 07:31:51 matt wrote:
>> On 04/19/12 17:01, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>> >
>> > there are so many different news about the X220 here that it is not so
>> > clear to me whether an install will result in a usable system.
>> >

>> That's what I've been using. I'm about ready to say goodbye to gentoo
>> permanently on mine, although it's a work machine so I'm taking my time.
>
> I want to use this machine for work.
>> *
>> *What works:
>> suspend/resume (must use Xorg KMS to have display on resume), needs
>> sysctl twiddling for PCI resume/suspend
>
> Suspend and resume is something I do not really use.
>
>> trackpad (could be better, no scrolling yet...psm doesn't seem to attach
>
> I never use them.
>
>> ethernet
>
> This is important.
>
>> intel wireless (no rt8192)
>
> I should get the Intel version.
>
>> graphics (via Konstantin's KMS work! thanks!)
>> speaker.ko!
>> Fan control works, but stops displaying fan speed sometimes (see hack
>> for acpi_ibm.c)
>
> Not so important if the speed is not displayed.
>
>> *What is unknown (to me):
>> Card reader
>
> I will have to find out.
>
>> Fingerprint for PAM (works if you already registered it in Windows for boot)
>
> Nice to have.
>
>> What doesn't work:
>> Standard consoles after X is started with KMS (this is true for all
>> intel KMS)
>
> This is the only thing I would like to have.
>
>> I'm probably forgetting some stuff that doens't work and some stuff that
>> does (especially if obvious)
>>
> I know, this is the most difficult part. As your e-mail reads, it is worth a
> try
>
> How did you do it with Windows? I plan to burn some DVDs and then remove
> everything.
>
> As I cannot simply go into a shop and pick it up, it might will take until
> Wednesday to report back how it went for me.

Minor note. Sound card seems to work OK through the speakers, but I
have failed to find the magic to make the headphone jack work. I have
not tried very hard, either. I keep procrastinating on the KMS stuff
as I will REALLY miss switching to vtys.

I made a quick attempt at the card reader, but had no luck finding a
driver that would work. Still, the system has worked for me for at
least 6 months, now.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6...@gmail.com