: >A comment: this is a 18GB IBM 7200 RPM disk and i noticed it tends
: >to become very hot compared to other disks when mounted in the
: >same machine (on a removable frame). Do others have the same
: >experience ?

Yes.  They run very hot.  I had to steal an old powersupply fan and
mount it in front of the drive to get it to run at  a reasonable
temperature.  W/o the fan, it was running at 58C or so.  With the fan
it runs at 39C or so.  I've included the script that I use to find
this information out.  Ken Merry sent it to me.  It works on some IBM
drives.

Warner

#!/bin/sh

TEMPC=`camcontrol cmd -v -n da -u 0 -c "4D 0 76 0 0 0 0 0 20 0" -i 32 "s9 i1"`

TEMPF=`echo " 2 k $TEMPC 9 * 5 / 32 + p" | dc`

echo "The temperature is: $TEMPF F $TEMPC C"