On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Brooks Davis wrote:

[Please confine your replies to toolch...@freebsd.org to keep the thread
on the most relevant list.]

For the past several years we've been working towards migrating from
GCC to Clang/LLVM as our default compiler.  We intend to ship FreeBSD
10.0 with Clang as the default compiler on i386 and amd64 platforms.  To
this end, we will make WITH_CLANG_IS_CC the default on i386 and amd64
platforms on November 4th.

What does the mean to you?

* When you build world after the default is changed /usr/bin/cc, cpp, and
  c++ will be links to clang.

* This means the initial phase of buildworld and "old style" kernel
  compilation will use clang instead of gcc.  This is known to work.

* It also means that ports will build with clang by default.  A major
  of ports work, but a significant number are broken or blocked by
  broken ports. For more information see:
    http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsAndClang

What issues remain?

* The gcc->clang transition currently requires setting CC, CXX, and CPP
  in addition to WITH_CLANG_IS_CC.  I will post a patch to toolchain@
  to address this shortly.

I assume this will be done, tested and committed before 2012-11-04
(or whenever the switchover date is).

* Ports compiler selection infrastructure is still under development.

This should be a prerequisite before making the switch, given
that ports will be broken without a work-around for building
them with gcc.

--
DE