Is it possible to regenerate the package database or somehow start over? I
am seeing errors like these:

pkg_info: Don't use the pkg_ tools if you are using pkgng
pkg_info: the package info for package 'ca_root_nss-3.14' is corrupt

have you run ever run pkg2ng ?

Hi, Eitan.

It could be that I had a case of bad luck. About an hour before the documentation was put into /usr/ports/UPDATING, I noticed that portmaster was not working and 'make deinstall' and 'make reinstall' and ticked 'pkgng'. Then portmaster seemed to work alright.

Then when the UPDATING entry 20121010 happened shortly after, I followed it exactly- so yes I ran pkg2ng. Somehow my installation has both portmaster-3.14 *and* portmaster-3.14_7 installed. Perhaps my portmaster upgrade prior to following the UPDATING entry 20121010 broke something.

I can guess that my database is messed up.

Thanks for your reply,
Darrel