CeDeROM wrote:
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Ivan Voras<ivo...@freebsd.org>  wrote:
It looks like you are confusing GEOM journalling (-J) and UFS-SU
journalling (-j). They are very different, and today you probably want
to use the latter. If you are installing 9.x from scratch, it will be
enabled by default. If not, you can use newfs -j or tunefs -j to enable it.

"When any other means fail, read the manual" heh :-)

I am still a bit confused, even after reading [1], because there is no
explanation of difference between GJournal and SU / SU+J (which was
introduced in FreeBSD 9.0). I understand GJournal works below
filesystem level and I dont need to use fsck. SU/SU+J is part of the
UDF/UDF2 filesystem. I should not use SU and GJournal at the same
time. What are the advantages of SU/US+J? What is the advantage of
SU+J over SU? Should I use Gjournal or SU/SU+J? Any hints welcome! :-)

If I have already created UFS2 with -J, I understand I can switch it
off, can I then simply turn of UFS+J (-j) with no data loss on
existing filesystem?

Which solution is better for drives>1TB when I dont want to wait an
hour for fsck?

In short - if you choose Gjournal with data and journal on the same disk, you will have about half write speed.

If you choose SU+J, you will not be able to use UFS snapshot feature at this time (there is some bug and snapshots on SU+J is disabled)

Other than that - SU+J is easier to Enable / Disable on existing partition but is not well testet - it is younger technology than Gjournal.

Miroslav Lachman