On Jan 7, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Daniel Kalchev <dan...@digsys.bg> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Fleuriot Damien <m...@my.gd> wrote:
>

>> And network cards:
>> # Up a bit our intel cards parameters
>> hw.em.txd=4096
>> hw.em.rxd=4096
>> hw.em.tx_int_delay=512
>> hw.em.rx_int_delay=512
>> hw.em.tx_abs_int_delay=1024
>> hw.em.rx_abs_int_delay=1024
>>

> I am curious why we need to manually set up these values. Especially the
> txd/rxd -- here are few controllers supported by the em driver that can't
> handle 4096 descriptors and the choice could really be made at driver attach
> time.. That could also permit different em interfaces in the system (using
> different chips) to have different settings.
>
> My belief is the auto tuning should set things up for maximum performance,
> given the hardware and if someone really needs smaller queues they could just
> use the tunables.
>
> Are there drawbacks?
>
> Daniel

Well perhaps the code to handle auto tuning isn't present in the driver itself.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea, I believe it would be rather taxing to
implement all the exceptions and that some could easily be overlooked.

I believe it's better to have a more user-friendly documentation and let users
tune the hardware to suit their needs.