On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 10:04:17PM -0800, a little birdie told me
that Matthew Dillon remarked

>     Ha!  I found it.  Kirk gets the credit --- softupdates was turned on
>     in one of the machine's /usr/obj's and off on the other machine's.
>
>     So softupdates improves buildworld times by a significant margin.  I've
>     turned softupdates on on both machines and am rerunning the test.  I
>     expect I will see an improvement closer to what Bob Bishop saw when
>     he ran the test (7% or so) rather then 20+%.

Does softupdates provide faster performance than async/noatime?  I keep
/usr/src and /usr/obj as such, would it be faster with softupdates?  And
if so, why?

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Unix Systems Administrator      |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]