On 18.11.2013 14:10, Adrian Chadd wrote:
On 18 November 2013 01:20, Alexander Motin <m...@freebsd.org> wrote:
On 18.11.2013 10:41, Adrian Chadd wrote:
So, do you get any benefits from just the first one, or first two?

I don't see much reason to handle that in pieces. As I have described above,
each part has own goal, but they much better work together.

Well, with changes like this, having them broken up and committed in
small pieces make it easier for people to do regression testing with.

If you introduce some regression in a particular workload then the
user or developer is only going to find that it's this patch and won't
necessarily know how to break it down into pieces to see which piece
actually introduced the regression in their specific workload.

I can't argue here, but too many small pieces turning later merging into a headache. This patch is not that big to not be reviewable at one piece. What's about better commit message -- your hint accepted. :)

I totally agree that this should be done! It just does seem to be
something that could be committed in smaller pieces quite easily so to
make potential debugging later on down the road much easier. Each
commit builds on the previous commit.

So, something like (in order):

* add two new buckets, here's why
* fix locking, here's why
* soft back pressure
* aggressive backpressure

I can do that it you insist, I would just take different order (3,1,4,2). 2 without 3 will make buckets grow faster, that may be bad without back pressure.

Did you get profiling traces from the VM free paths? Is it because
it's churning the physical pages through the VM physical allocator?
or?

Yes. Without use_uma enabled I've seen up to 50% of CPU time burned on locks held around expensive VM magic such as TLB shutdown, etc. With use_uma enabled situation improved a lot, but I've seen periodical bursts, which I guess happened when system was getting low on memory and started aggressively purge gigabytes of oversized caches. With this patch I haven't noticed such behavior so far at all, though it may be subjective since test runs quite some time and load is not very stationary.

--
Alexander Motin