On 2014-02-23 13:47, David Chisnall wrote:
On 23 Feb 2014, at 18:31, Freddie Cash <fjwc...@gmail.com> wrote:

The main developer for systemd is very anti-portability and anti-!Linux. He
had actively rejected patches that made his projects work on non-Linux
systems. In order to port systemd to a non-Linux system, he wants you to
first implement every Linux feature that systemd uses.

systemd is a non-starter, and not with considering.

I don't think that's a relevant discussion.  The license would likely
preclude systemd from making it into the base system anyway.  Please
let's not be too negative about the author of systemd: he's
responsible for more people switching from Linux to FreeBSD than any
other single individual I can think of and I would strongly encourage
him to continue.

I also noticed this.

The relevant question is whether it does anything in a way that is
sufficiently sensible to merit a FreeBSD service management
infrastructure doing it in the same (or a similar) way.

Oh, two things missing from my original list:

- Service jails should be able to run without an init process, with
just the required libraries installed and the host machine's init
system starting the jail and the service process(es) inside it.

Isn't this a bit too complicated? If there is an init script under $jail/usr/local/etc/rc.d, then the host init will need to find it, which can be even more complicated if rc search path in the jail is customized (prefixed if it's managed by a different department, for example). Host init will have to read the jail configuration, parse it too, and then manage children and pids of the jailed services, including reparenting, all within a jail context. Then the admin in that jail would need to be able to restart services, affecting host init, which opens a whole new can of worms. If init program is skinny and not too complicated, which it is, there is no tangible overhead. And if a jail really needs a single simple service, init process in the jail can *be* that, like jexec myjail /bin/sh -c somestuff (or even /usr/local/bin/myservice -c myservice conf).

- The init system should use process descriptors, not pids, for
tracking processes, preventing issues with pid reuse and so on (and
removing the need to write pid files).  If process descriptors do not
provide the required functionality (e.g. the ability to trace forked
children) then this should be added.

This is a good idea.

David