Last night around midnight EST I cvsupped and did make buildworld, config
-r'ed my kernel, compiled it, installed the kernel and did make
installworld. I rebooted expecting the system to come up fine but it
failed with "Invalid partition table".  This was just after removing 2 of
3 of my dimm's becauseI thought they were causing a seperate
problem.  The system is not overclocked, but SMP. Attempting to boot
kernel.old left me with the exact same problem.  Here is what my screen
says:

Verifying DMI Pool Data .......

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS drive D: is disk2
BIOS drive E: is disk3
BIOS 639k/130048kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
([EMAIL PROTECTED], Thu Apr 20 01:30:00 EDT 2000)
/kernel
 text=0x186b9f data=0x3b81c+0x1b33c syms=[0x4+0x26000+0x4+0x2ac6c]
-
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
Invalid partition table_

where _ is the blinking cursor

I am not afraid of using the fixit disk if I have to, but I also have a
spare 5g disk I could toss in and install freebsd on if that would be the
easiest way of fixing this.   ANY suggestions or insight to the problem is
appreciated!