On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> writes:
Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@des.no> writes:
We always use [The .Nm foo utility or The .Fn foo function] instead
of just .Nm or .Fn at the start of a sentence, but never (or rarely)
within a sentence.
By "we", do you mean the FreeBSD project or your local organization?
Is there a specific reason the redundant wording, or is it just
customary?

I mean the FreeBSD project, and the reason is as John stated: all
sentences must start with a capital letter.  I've gotten so used to this
over the past 15 years that I even do it in email and other non-FreeBSD
written material.

DES

"Because it's been that way for 15 years" is not always a justification (consider BIND in base, for example :).

I'll let this drop for now, but still find it interesting that it is not mentioned in the FDP Primer, and those style guide rules date back at least 15 years. It may be that the original doc project members felt that capitalizing the first word of a sentence was so obvious that it did not need to be stated. Or possibly, that it was a rule that could be usefully broken at times.