On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, Michael W. Lucas wrote:

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 10:45:52AM -0400, Ryan Stone wrote:
On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Allan Jude <allanj...@freebsd.org> wrote:
It also tends to sometimes hide the gpt label provider on me (not sure
in which cases it does this, but it is annoying)

This happens when something (e.g. zfs) happens to open the diskid
provider instead of the gpt label.  For me this ended up being a bit
more than annoying; my swap was mounted in /etc/fstab via a gpt label
so I silently lost my swap when I did an upgrade.

Wait-- one type of one label can hide another?

I thought a big point of labels was to remove ambiguity...

Can't get more unambiguous than only having one label!

The word to look for here is "wither". When a device label name is opened exclusively (like mounting a device), other labels for that device are supposed to "wither" and disappear from view.

(My understanding of this is incomplete. Garrett Wollman sent me a very nice explanation of how this works, which I have read but not enough times yet.)