On Sun, 20 Jul 2014, Kurt Jaeger wrote:

Hi!

And you don't seem to get the point that _someone_ has to do the work.
No one has stepped up so far, so nothing is going to change.

Franco Fichtner said he's interested in doing it. He probably
needs funding.

No one with authority has yet said that "If an updated pf were available,
  would be welcomed".

Which person or group would you view as "authority" in this case ?

I am not privy to the inner workings of the project, but surely a
decision of this importance would come to the attention of the
core team, who are listed at:

  http://www.freebsd.org/administration.html#t-core

A port of OpenBSD PF may be quite impractical or undesirable- I have no idea. However, if all potential contributions are viewed as criticism to be refuted, it will damage the ability of the project to attract contributors. Rather than telling a potential contributor that their efforts will never be included in the official distribution it would be more supportive of the project to say that a port of PF would be welcome as a port, but might have difficulty displacing current offering. That doesn't promise anything, but encourages involvement, if indeed involvement is desired.

Daniel Feenberg

--
p...@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         6 years to go !