On 11/15/14, 11:32 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
On Sat, 2014-11-15 at 11:03 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
On 11/15/14, 11:01 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:
On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 10:56:50AM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
On 11/15/14, 10:43 AM, Steve Kargl wrote:
Before I totally hose by /usr/src directory, does anyone
have some guidelines on doing a binary search for a rogue
commit in /usr/src/sys?.  Either cam or usb (or acpi?) has
broken the ability to remove a external USB device once it
is plugged into a usb port on my Dell Latitude D530 laptop.
I know that a good kernel can be built with r271273 and
a bad kernel comes from (nearly) top of tree at r274456.

I assume I need to do somthing along the lines

% cd /usr/src/sys
% svn merge -r 274456:272864    (half way point between good and bad)
(build kernel and test)
% cd /usr/src/sys
% svn revert -R .
(assume 272864 builds working kernel)
% svn merge -r 274456:273660   (1/2 point between 272864 and 274456).

Rinse and repeat.

Use git, it has a built in bisector to shake this sort of thing out:

I won't be drawn into the git debate.

OK, so we don't want to use a tool purposefully built for the problem
you are facing?  Doesn't seem like a "git debate" more like hammering in
screws...

This in-your-face git evangelism is getting REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST.
Please stop it.

I have nothing in particular against git, I just have no interest in it.
But that's rapidly transforming into active dislike in exact proportion
to being repeatedly talked down to by someone with a different opinion,
and apparently the belief that folks with other opinions just need more
repetitious condescention to see the light.

This is really over the top.

It's not evangelism, the guy asked "how do I do X?" I showed him how to do it in a few simple steps.

If you take "git" out of the equation it would have been a simple "thank you".

I could have just as simply replied with the steps needed, however s/git/frob/g and it wouldn't have "triggered" any reaction from people.

-Alfred