Okay, answering my own question for the sake of the archive,  I believe it
was an on combination of some of the options   SC_something  that
vidcontrol -m on and my mouse and kernel didnt like.  I was using some to
save on kernel size and memory used but then decided to start using the
computer on the console again so I just commented all those SC feature
disabling out and all seems well.