"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:
> "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> >
> > I tried booting a kernel this morning, just to see Peter's new
> > "lean-n-mean" kernel config format in action, and I turned my
> > workstation into a headless server in the process. :-)
> >
> > Most notably, these former entries were now missing from my dmesg
> > output when I logged in remotely and poked around:
> >
> > atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> > atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> > psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> > psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
> > vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
> > sc0: <System console> on isa0
>
> I was just wondering what happens if no device.hints exists. It seems it
> isn't installed by installkernel target, and the above are all part of
> it.

IMHO, the hints are a machine property, not a per-kernel property.  Setting
up a /boot/device.hints is (IMHO) a one-time task that never needs to be
done more than once, and (again IMHO) the 'make install' had damn well
better not mess with.  This is especially important once kget(8) becomes
the equivalent of 'kenv | grep '^hint' > /boot/device.hints' or something
so that the userconfig.4th changes get saved for next time.

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm - [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]