> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mike Smith writes:
> : > a larger issue. It is not the loader's job to detect the underlying
> : > hardware configuration.
> :
> : Actually, in a broad fashion, it _is_.  This is why the loader
> : understands PCI and PnP, for example.
>
> How hard would it be to add usb and pccard support?

Very hard.  There's no standardised firmware interface to either of
these, so we would have to use "real" drivers.

As far as the loader is concerned, though, neither of these are on the
boot path, so we can typically wait until the kernel's up and we can use
some "real real" drivers. 8)

\\ Tell him he should learn how to fish himself,  \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
\\ and he'll hate you for a lifetime.             \\  [EMAIL PROTECTED]