A few weeks ago I tried the LUA boot and found, that my kernel did not start (i.e. did not print the initial FreeBSD version line), but instead stopped
with:

panic: No heap setup

I recovered by booting from an alternate boot device and kept my system
running until today, where I decided to give the LUA boot another try.

The boot failure happened again, with identical message:

        panic: No heap setup

I tried booting a GENERIC kernel, but only rebuilding the boot loader
(gptzfsloader in my case) without LUA support fixed the issue for me ...

The system is -CURRENT (built today) on amd64 (not converted to UEFI, yet).

Further information is available on request. For now, I'm back to booting
with the Forth based loader ...

STefan