On Thu, 31 May 2018, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 08:34:44AM +0100, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

We're not replacing anything. We are moving the older drm1 and drm2 from
kernel to ports to make it easier for the majority of the users to load the
correct driver without conflicts.

You do understand that you increase your maintainence load by this move.
dev/drm and dev/drm2 use KPIs which cannot be kept stable even in stable
branches, so you will need to chase these updates.

I agree.  One argument previously made was that it's easier
to maintain in ports.  One data point from me - I rarely
update my ports, I update my OS much more frequently.  In
fact, some times my ports get so out of date I just
(take off and) nuke /usr/local (from orbit, it's the only
way to be sure).

Also, are we trying to solve a problem by moving drm[2] to
ports that won't be a problem when base is pkg'ized?  If
drm[2] is a package unto itself, then you don't have this
problem of ports conflicting with it, at least not so
much.  You can either not install the base drm[2] package
or deinstall it to make way for a conflicting port.  Once
drm[2] is pkg rm'd, it's not going to be reinstalled
again when you update the base OS.

And don't we have the same problem with sendmail and a
few other base services?

--
DE