On 31 May 2018, at 20:11, Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Dimitry Andric <d...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 31 May 2018, at 18:04, Benjamin Kaduk <ka...@mit.edu> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 09:58:50AM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> >> On Thu, 31 May 2018 09:52:22 +0200
> >> Gary Jennejohn <gljennj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whatever happened to the "run buildworld or kernel-toolchain before
> > buildkernel" requirement?
>
> That is still a requirement, yes.  Otherwise, you might have outdated
> toolchain components are in your /usr/obj.
>
> Usually you can get away without doing that, and now that clang is the
> toolchain that's rebuilt (and that's not fast) people try to get away with it
> more and more...

Actually clang doesn't get updated *that* often, but there is a minor
snag that one of llvm's config files (lib/clang/include/llvm/Config/config.h)
includes <osreldate.h>, so each time __FreeBSD_version is bumped, quite
a lot of dependencies get triggered...

The version is only used for two checks:

#if __FreeBSD_version >= 1000052
/* Define to 1 if you have the `backtrace' function. */
#define HAVE_BACKTRACE TRUE

and:

/* Define to 1 if you have the `futimens' function. */
#if __FreeBSD_version >= 1100056
#define HAVE_FUTIMENS 1
#endif

Maybe the first check could be dropped, assuming that backtrace() is
always available, but I'm not sure about futimens().  Is there any
supported version of FreeBSD left that does *not* have it?

-Dimitry