On 9/21/18 9:53 PM, Eric van Gyzen wrote:
I would like to build a Ryzen desktop.  Can anyone recommend a good motherboard?

I'm planning on a first-gen, because the second-gen has similar stability problems as the first-gen had, and AMD hasn't released errata for the second-gen yet (as far as I know...I would love to be wrong).

I would like to be a cool kid with a Threadripper, but I can't justify the cost, so I'm thinking maybe a Ryzen 7 with /only/ 8 cores.  :)

Ideally, I want an Intel NIC, ECC memory support, and a 3-year warranty.

Thanks for all the responses. They were very helpful. Here is what I ended up building:

Mobo:  ASUS Prime X470-Pro
CPU:   Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core
RAM:   Corsair Vengeance LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 C16
Video: ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Disk:  Samsung 970 EVO 500GB TLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4
PSU:   EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX
Fan:   Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler

It's running FreeBSD head. BIOS version is 4018 (2018-07-12). So far, it has been perfectly stable. No crashes, no lockups. It has been my work-from-home desktop for just over a week now. I'm overclocking the memory a little, but nothing else. The NIC works. The sound works, though I've only tested the rear analog output. The video card works with the nvidia-driver, currently 390.87. It's driving two 2560x1440 monitors over HDMI.

The only problem so far: I can't get NUMA enabled. I've set Memory Interleave to "off", but the BIOS still doesn't generate an ACPI SRAT table. I'm still working on this.

Eric