On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 07:31:38PM -0700, Rebecca Cran wrote:

> With a recent change I made for UEFI, we now install loader.efi onto the ESP
> and don’t run boot1. That means that /boot.config is no longer read, and so
> console settings need to be put in /boot/loader.conf.
> I was wondering if people will expect /boot.config to still be read and so
> code should be added to loader to continue to parse it, or if loader.conf can
> be considered the correct place and boot.config forgotten about?

Does the above only apply to UEFI booting, or also to booting from
BIOS/MBR?

If the latter, I'd be OK with the change as long as it's adequately
publicized ahead of time (e.g., a src/UPDATING entry & -- ideally -- a
"heads-up" in current@).

If the former, I'm less opinionated: none of my personal machines boot
UEFI.  I'd tend to assume that changing to UEFI will involve some
(other) changes to how I do things anyway.  (My build machine uses
/boot.config to default to "verbose" booting, dual-console.)

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill                              da...@catwhisker.org
Trump is more of an "existential" than "potential" threat to US security.