CC @current, as I had originally intended.

On 2019-08-14 09:08, John Baldwin wrote:
1) You can set LOCALBASE to a different path either in a kernel config
(via makeoptions) or when invoking buildkernel.

For example, I mount my rpi's sdcard at /mnt on my amd64 laptop and
then cross-build into it, so I could set LOCALBASE to /mnt/usr/local when
building the rpi's kernel to honor any kmod packages installed on the rpi.

Normally LOCALBASE is interpreted by ports as the default for PREFIX, meaning it should be a path _within_ the target system, not the path to where it is mounted.  There is DESTDIR for that. Now for kernel build this is not a problem for the reason that LOCALBASE is being used just to find sources, not to build ports. However, given how that variable is normally used, it seems like a problem waiting to happen.  It would be better to use a variable specific to the purpose at hand.

How about when I'm doing a build of 11-stable for testing, but what's
in my /usr/local is sources for a 13-current driver?
Given that the kmod's are supposed to be portable across branches,
the build really shouldn't be breaking. But the same ability is still
there to as above to disable builds either in general or for
specific kernel configs or buildkernel invocations.

The concern appears to be that there is no longer a clear way to separate what base source tree does from what is in the local system's configuration.  Is there any one single knob to tell /usr/src not to use any configuration from /usr/local?