On 03.03.2020 12:44, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 12:40+0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:

On 03.03.2020 11:49, Yuri Pankov wrote:
With recent pkg fallout, I'm trying to build rust myself first time ever (as
far as I can remember), and it's failing running out of swap on the
following step:

Building stage0 std artifacts (x86_64-unknown-freebsd ->
x86_64-unknown-freebsd)
running:
"/usr/ports/lang/rust/work/rustc-1.41.1-src/build/x86_64-unknown-freebsd/stage0/bin/cargo"
"build" "-Zconfig-profile" "--target" "x86_64-unknown-freebsd"
"-Zbinary-dep-depinfo" "-j" "1" "-v" "--release" "--frozen" "--features"
"panic-unwind backtrace compiler-builtins-c" "--manifest-path"
"/usr/ports/lang/rust/work/rustc-1.41.1-src/src/libtest/Cargo.toml"
"--message-format" "json-render-diagnostics"
^C^C^C
Build completed unsuccessfully in 0:00:55

Here I pressed ^C as the build actually continues despite several rustdoc,
python, and other processes being killed.

swap_pager: out of swap space
swp_pager_getswapspace(20): failed
swap_pager: out of swap space
swp_pager_getswapspace(11): failed

The system has 32G of RAM and 2GB swap partition (as advised by zfs-auto
installation option), top shows about 28G of memory free at that moment, so
I'm wondering why the swap is being used, and if 2G should be enough to
build rust.

Looks like I got this wrong, adding a file-backed swap space I was actually
able to run top, and seeing only 100M of memory being "Free", ~20G memory
reported as "Active", and swap usage constantly growing being consumed by
rustdoc process; something is really wrong here.

Run top(1), hit the o key, type in size, and hit enter to have top
sort the process list according to their virtual size. The culprit
will eventually work its way to the top.

Yes, it's rustdoc, and I'm seeing the same behavior as you described in your other reply. What's more interesting, having a little swap, processes get killed almost immediately, and the build happily continues resulting successful rust package.