> > On Sep 1, 2020, at 10:59 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <g...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday,  1 September 2020 at 13:14:10 -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> >> We've been updating the svn-git converter and pushing out a new
> >> converted repo every two weeks, and are now approaching the time where
> >> we'd like to commit to the tree generated by the exporter,
> >
> > Somehow I've missed this development.  Reading between the lines, it
> > seems that we're planning to move from svn to git, but I can't recall
> > seeing any announcement on the subject.  Can you give some background?
> > It would also be nice to find a HOWTO both for the migration and for
> > life with git.
>
> We?ve been talking about the transition for about 5 years now. So far, only
> people interested in git have showed up to do any work at all. Subversion has
> lost, and even Apache, the main users of it, are moving to git. We started
> early in the year with the firm plans and have been working on it since then.
> These conversations have happened all over the place, and we?ve been posting
> to developers for months now...

To the contrary 5 years ago the project on @developers basically
ran off one of the committers over the very idea of using git
for the project.  It was shortly after I returned, so I find it
very ironic that now its all "git git git and we being heading
to this for 5 years...."

Would you expect those opposed to this idea to help with it? Really?

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org