I've recently been testing the daemons that do the
non-application data stuff for nfs-over-tls with the
openssl in head.

These daemons work fine with both ports/security/openssl (openssl-1.1.1h)
and ports/security/openssl-devel (openssl3-alpha).

However, when linked to the openssl in head, the basic handshake
and KTLS works, but the peer certificate from the client is reported
as expired by SSL_get_verify_result(), although it is still valid.
I added some debug output and the "notAfter" field of the
certificate looks correct, so the certificate doesn't seem to be
corrupted.

I tried backporting the changes in crypto/x509 in head back
into ports/security/openssl and it still worked, so those changes
do not seem to have caused the problem.
There are several differences in the configured options, but I cannot
see any other differences between ports/security/openssl and
what is in head that could cause this.
(The options that differ seem related to old encryption types, etc.)

Any other ideas for tracking this down?

Thanks, rick