> > On 23. Feb 2021, at 17:53, Jakob Alvermark <ja...@alvermark.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 2/23/21 12:27 PM, Toomas Soome via freebsd-current wrote:
> >> hi!
> >>
> >> I have done some work to make font pickup a bit smarter (hopefully
> >> better;), but my own ability to test is limited to one bugged supermicro
> >> and one MBP with retina display?
> >>
> >> The phab link ishttps://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849
> >> <https://reviews.freebsd.org/D28849>
> >>
> >> I have built loader binaries as well (bios and uefi):
> >> loader_lua<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua>
> >> loader_lua.efi<http://148-52-235-80.sta.estpak.ee/loader_lua.efi>
> >>
> >> To test, you should remove screen.font= line from loader.conf and test
> >> with different resolutions.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> toomas
> >

> > Hi Toomas,
> >

> > I tested on five different setups.
> >
> > Surface Pro 10.6"@1920x1080:
> >
> > The loader menu looks different, the "FreeBSD" text is on the right side of
> > the screen.
>

> I think, this was the lua script bug we did fix not too long time ago.
>

> > Otherwise, the font size is what I would call a normal size.
> >

> > Acer laptop 11.6"@1366x768:
> >
> > Menu looks fine. Almost fills the entire screen.
> >
> > The font feels a little too big.
>

> The laptop built in displays usually do not give out EDID (we get physical
> dimensions from EDID), so there we fall back to try to get 80x25 terminal
> method.

I am having a hard time with that statement.  EDID is very common on laptop
screens, infact I can not recall ever not seeing EDID on a laptops builtin
screen.
My 11" acer 1400 has EDID in it.

> > Thinkpad built in 13"@1920x1080:
> >
> > Menu looks fine, but a little slow.
> >
> > The font size is a little to big for my liking. When drm loads and mirrors
> > the screen to my external 27" it looks comically large.
> >

> There is another issue - once DRM will kick in, we should re-consider the
> console attributes, like fonts, but at this time, the kernel itself only can
> use what was built in (8x16), or what loader was offering (default if
> present). So it is up to user to act there.

It would be really nice if DRM could pick up what the resolution and font was
when it loaded!

> > Thinkpad external 24"@1920x1200:
> >
> > Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
> >
> > Font size is fine, but once drm loads it looks a bit squeezed (like thin
> > and tall), but I guess that's drm detecting the built in 1920x1080, and the
> > external display is stretched.
> >

> > Thinkpad external 27"@3840x2160:
> >
> > Menu looks OK, uses about a quarter of the screen.
> >
> > Font size is fine.
> >
> > Looking at the dmesg though, it says: VT(efifb): resolution 1920x1080
> >

> > Jakob
> >

> Those cases .. I suppose the menu was still at left side, not in middle? The
> thing there is, our menu is designed for 80x25 screen, with respective
> constants.

SO again... why are we deviating from that causing us issues?

> many thanks for testing,

I have downloaded your modified loader, and put it in place, it shall get
tested on my next reboot, which should be soon as 13-BETA4 should be popping
out soon.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgri...@freebsd.org