    >> > Hi,
    >> > When you are using virtual_oss , hw.snd.default_unit is not
    >> used.
    >> > man virtual_oss_cmd
    >> > Try this instead:
    >> > virtual_oss_cmd /dev/vdsp.ctl -f /dev/dsp1
    >> Unfortunately, even the command is not working.
    >>

    > Maybe your virtual_oss installation needs to be upgraded then? It
    > should be supported.

>pkg info virtual_oss
virtual_oss-1.2.15
Name           : virtual_oss
Version        : 1.2.15
Installed on   : Tue Nov 16 12:39:14 2021 CET
Origin         : audio/virtual_oss
Architecture   : FreeBSD:14:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : audio
Licenses       : BSD2CLAUSE
Maintainer     : hsela...@freebsd.org
WWW            : https://github.com/hselasky/virtual_oss
Comment        : Virtual OSS multi device mixer application
Options        :
        BLUETOOTH      : on
        BT_SPEAKER     : on
        COMMAND        : on
        DEBUG          : off
        EQUALIZER      : on
        HTTPD          : on
Shared Libs required:
        libfftw3.so.3
        libsamplerate.so.0
Annotations    :
        FreeBSD_version: 1400041
Flat size      : 140KiB
Description    :
Virtual OSS is an audio mixing application that multiplexes and
demultiplexes a single OSS device into multiple customizable OSS
compatible devices using character devices in userspace. These devices
can be used to record played back audio and mix the individual
channels in multiple ways.

Virtual OSS also supports playback and recording through bluetooth
audio devices.

WWW: https://github.com/hselasky/virtual_oss

It is not working...

Just a thought... Could not be the problem how are the apps built
(chromium, firefox), i.e. which options are set on?

regards,

lk