Mark Millard <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since some of the paths reported ended up being links
> (symbolic, as I remember), what are the principles for
> which form of paths should be the basis for paths in
> the likes of:
>
> .MAKE.META_IGNORE_PATHS

.MAKE.META.IGNORE_PATHS

> .MAKE.META.IGNORE_PATTERNS
> .MAKE.META.IGNORE_FILTER
>
> Target of link? Path to the link itself, not the
> target? Both?

These all refer to paths that might appear in a meta file.
They are listed in order of expense.

.MAKE.META.IGNORE_PATHS is a list of path prefixes , eg if /tmp
        is in the list then /tmp* will be ignored

.MAKE.META.IGNORE_PATTERNS might include */tmp/*
        which means any path that patches that will be ignored.

.MAKE.META.IGNORE_FILTER is the most expensive but also the most
        flexible.  Eg you could have tA:N/something/*, then anything
        that has a realpath starting with /something/ will be ignored.