On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 07:30:15PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote on
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 22:15:38 UTC :

On Thu, Mar 30, 2023, 3:45 PM void <v...@f-m.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 12:56:53PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>
> >To my knowledge, FreeBSD has not actively supported newer
> >FreeBSD building older FreeBSD across versions.
>
> Are you sure? I routinely build & run 12.4 and 12-stable bhyve and
> poudriere jail instances on -current.

Do you use main's toolchain to do your builds of releng/12.4
and stable/12 ? The first time? Their updating builds? As far
as I can see use of main's toolchain means not using an older
user space (via/in-a chroot, jail, etc.) to do the builds.

I don't know in detail about the toolchain. When 12.4 builds on
-current, the screen shows it bootstrapping, and I guess this is for
12.4.

The reason I commented on what you wrote was because your assertion
appeared to me[1] to be incorrect, in that logically following on from that
assertion would mean 'don't expect it to work because it's 'not actively supported' meaning that it's 'unsupported'.
But I can't contextualise 'actively supported' into 'should work' or
'expected to work' given Warren's comment about 'best effort basis'.

I build poudriere jails for 12.4 on -current like so:

1. git -C /usr/src checkout releng/12.4
2. poudriere jail -c -j 124Ramd64 -J12 -m src=/usr/src -b -v releng/12.4

To update:

3. git -C /usr/src checkout releng/12.4
4. git -C /usr/src pull --ff-only
5. then I have to delete and build the jail as in [2] otherwise it'll
complain about wrong objectprefix

is this workflow incorrect?

A sequence can be bootstrapped by starting from materials for
a pre-built release or snapshot of the older user space and
then update via its internal toolchain. My understanding is
this is the actively supported way, not building older
user spaces directly from a newer user space and its
newer toolchain.

It appears to me[1] to be building its own toolchain and building within
that. The ports it builds work on the machine it's built for, without
errors about things like ABI etc. I don't do any pre-building, and am
unsure if the poudriere jailbuilding process does anything outside of
the standard build process.

[1] non-expert in any of this!