On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 11:02:13AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
> bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net> wrote on
> Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 15:36:21 UTC :
>
> > On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 08:41:33AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > >
> > > Quoting bob prohaska <f...@www.zefox.net> (from Fri, 26 May 2023 16:26:06
> > > -0700):

> > > As you are posting to -current@, I expect you to report this issue about
> > > 14-current systems. As such: there was a "recent" change (2021-10-20) to
> > > the
> > > root entry to change the shell.
> > > https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/etc/master.passwd?id=d410b585b6f00a26c2de7724d6576a3ea7d548b7
> > >
> > > By blindly accepting all changes, this has reset the PW to the default
> > > setting (empty).
> >
> > So it's a line-by-line merge. That's the most sensible explanation
> > available.
> >

> > > I suggest to review changes ("df" instead of "tf" in etcupdate) to at
> > > least
> > > those files which you know you have modified, including the password/group
> > > stuff. After that you can decide if the diff which is shown with "df" can
> > > be
> > > applied ("tf"), or if you want to keep the old version ("mf"), or if you
> > > want to modify the current file ("e", with both versions present in the
> > > file
> > > so that you can copy/paste between the different versions and keep what
> > > you
> > > need).
> > >

> > The key sequences required to copy and paste between files in the edit
> > screen
> > were elusive. Probably it was thought self-evident, but not for me. I last
> > tried
> > it long ago, via mergemaster. Is there is a guide to commands for merging
> > files
> > using /etcupdate? Is it in the vi man page? I couldn't find it.
>
> # man etcpudate
> . . .
> CONFIG FILE
>      The etcupdate utility can also be configured by setting variables in an
>      optional configuration file named /etc/etcupdate.conf.  Note that command
>      line options override settings in the configuration file.  The
>      configuration file is executed by sh(1), so it uses that syntax to set
>      configuration variables.  The following variables can be set:
>
>      . . .
>
>      EDITOR          Specify a program to edit merge conflicts.
> . . .
> ENVIRONMENT
>      The etcupdate utility uses the program identified in the EDITOR
>      environment variable to edit merge conflicts.  If EDITOR is not set,
>      vi(1) is used as the default editor.
>

> So, if you do not want to use vi, you can use either the EDITOR
> environment variable or an EDITOR assignment in
> /etc/etcupdate.conf to change what editor etcupdate uses for
> you to edit merge conflicts with.

My difficulty is precisely a lack of skill with vi, which I've
used and cursed since starting with 386BSD. Evidently I'm a slow
learner.... I tried other editors, but vi is the only one always
available.

For the moment, etcupgrade isn't asking for manual intervention.
When it next does I'll pay closer attention and ask better questions.

Thanks to you in particular and everybody else who has helped!

bob prohaska