Nuno Teixeira <eduardo_at_freebsd.org> wrote on
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2023 05:22:48 UTC :

> I'm returning to current and installed from
> 20230622-b95d2237af40-263748-bootonly.iso
> <https://download.freebsd.org/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-amd64-20230622-b95d2237af40-263748-bootonly.iso>
> and upgraded to cab2d43b83b (amd64).
>
> Did a magnific delete-old and delete-old-libs and now a lot of packages
> complain about "ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.111" not found,
> required by..."
>
> To fix it I rebooted with BE from first instalation since I used
> beinstall.sh for upgrade.
>
> I know that a lot of things happened in the last days with llvm15->llvm16,
> openssl3, etc.
>
> My question is when can I do a delete-old{-libs}?
> I'm thinking building pkgs with a updated current on poudriere and then
> clean up libs?

The world in use for building packages from ports (such as in the
poudriere jail if poudriere is used), should not have libssl.so.111
or libcrypto.so.111 present.

I've two files (using amd64 as an example):

A) ~/origins/amd64-origins.txt
B) ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt

(A) lists the ports I want to build (but not what those are dependent on).
(B) lists the packages I want to install (but not what those are dependent on).

The two have to list flavors in different notations, so having just one file
ends up not being sufficient. Given that I use poudriere, neither file lists
ports-mgmt/pkg explicitly.

To build I use:

# more ~/build-ports-main-amd64-all_ports.sh
#! /bin/sh
poudriere pkgclean -jmain-amd64 -A
poudriere bulk -jmain-amd64 -w -f ~/origins/amd64-origins.txt

(You might not want the -w . Also, I have poudriere null mount my own world
build's installation for use by the jail. In the current context, no
libssl.so.111 or libcrypto.so.111 is present in the jail for the bulk run.)

To install I use:

# more ~/pkg-update-amd64-sys.sh
#! /bin/sh
pkg update \
&& pkg install -f ports-mgmt/pkg \
&& pkg delete -a \
&& pkg install `cat ~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt`

(Note: ports that fail to build need to not be listed in
~/origins/amd64-pkgs.txt .)

I deal with delete-old-libs after the packages are installed.
I do not have any extra non-port software that would need
rebuilding.

(In my context, I do all this activity as root.)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com