On Jul 6, 2023, at 20:42, Mike Karels <m...@karels.net> wrote:

> Thanks for isolating this.  Let me know when you have the bug number.
> I just tested a fix (the compat code drops the reference on the current
> address space an extra time, probably freeing it).
>
> Mike

The bug was introduced in January, 2022.   It allows 32 bit binaries to crash a
64 bit system when COMPAT_FREEBSD32 is on.  Test coverage of the buggy function
(sysctl_kern_proc_vm_layout) was added at the same time.

There should be routine runs of 32 bit test suites on 64 bit systems.  Although
i386 and armv7 are tier 2 systems, the tier 1 COMPAT_FREEBSD32 kernel code
needs to be exercised.  This bug was only discovered by manually running tests
in the right environment, 17 months after automated testing could have
discovered it.