Sorry for the last try, not enough caffiene yet...

Anyway, I had this problem as well.  The problem was that /boot/loader
wasn't working properly.  Without it, the system runs, but you can't
talk to the console.

You can either boot from fixit cdrom and install a new /boot/loader
or, as I did, use a serial console to connect to the machine.  (You
might be able to connect via TCP/IP as well; the system that had this
problem is a laptop, and gets configured via a shell script after
login.)

Good luck!

==ml