W dniu 9.11.2023 o 05:32, Warner Losh pisze:
Do you have WITHOUT_REPRODUCEABLE_BUILDS=YES in your src.conf?

Yes,  I have it.
Warner

On Wed, Nov 8, 2023, 9:03 PM Cy Schubert <cy.schub...@cschubert.com> wrote:

    <20230926231431.20f42fec1075c3980446c...@dec.sakura.ne.jp>,

    > >> Would be unrelated here, unfortunately.
    > >> As the subject says, the commit the original reporter is
    bitten at (not
    > >> bi-sected) is at a2440348eed7, which is before e6dc6a27230.
    > >
    > > Let's refresh this thread. It looks like (at least for stable/14)
    > > build system doesn't hardcode revision into the kernel
    anymore. Last
    > > time it worked to me was just after branching stable/14. Today
    I tried
    > > to build kernel from sources mounted over NFS and I ened with:
    > >
    > > # strings /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/BSDONDELL/kernel |
    grep
    > > 14.0-STABLE
    > > @(#)FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #6 -dirty: Tue Nov  7 14:04:35 CET 2023
    > > FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #6 -dirty: Tue Nov  7 14:04:35 CET 2023
    > > 14.0-STABLE
    > >
    > > the source repository is updated, consisted, but mounted
    read-only
    > > over NFS
    > >
    > > /usr/src# git status
    > > On branch stable/14
    > > Your branch is up to date with 'origin/stable/14'.
    > >
    > > Untracked files:
    > >   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
    > >         sys/amd64/conf/BSDONDELL
    > >
    > > It took 2.53 seconds to enumerate untracked files.
    > > See 'git help status' for information on how to improve this.
    > >
    > > nothing added to commit but untracked files present (use "git
    add" to
    > > track)
    > >

    > > Any clues what could be wrong ? Does /usr/src/ require write
    > > permissions now ?
    >

    > I am sorry for the false alarm. It looks like using META MODE
    prevented
    > updating this info. After cleaning obj dir and rebuilding
    revision is
    > visible:
    > # strings /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/BSDONDELL/kernel | grep
    > 14.0-STABLE
    > @(#)FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #0 stable/14-n265707-d2c65a1c9486: Wed
    Nov  8
    > 14:16:31 CET 2023
    > FreeBSD 14.0-STABLE #0 stable/14-n265707-d2c65a1c9486: Wed Nov  8
    > 14:16:31 CET 2023

    sys/conf/newvers.sh is responsible for getting the git hash into the
    kernel. If it finds a .git directory it will extract the hash to
    insert
    it into the kernel.

    I suspect there is something about your source tree that causes it to
    think there is no .git directory. In sys/conf/newvers.sh you will see
    where it sets $git_cmd when a .git directory exists. It subsequently
    tests for a non-zero $git_cmd string whereby it extracts the git hash.

    You might want to look through newvers.sh. Understanding what it does
    might point you to the cause of your problem, should it be that your
    tree is missing a .git directory or if your .git directory isn't quite
    right.

    That's the hypothesis ATM.

Thank you for the clue. The error was temporary only, due to not mounting /usr/src_head which holds the repository but mounting only workdir /usr/src_14 newvers.sh wasn't able to check git hash. Cleanup, mounting again both directories and rebuilding the kernel solved the problem.

-- Cheers,
    Cy Schubert <cy.schub...@cschubert.com>
    FreeBSD UNIX: <c...@freebsd.org>   Web: https://FreeBSD.org
    <https://FreeBSD.org>