On 2023-12-23 06:52, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 11:18:23PM -0800, Xin Li wrote:
Hi,

Inspired by D42961, I propose that we move forward with disabling the
compression by default in newsyslog, as implemented in
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D43169

Historically, newsyslog has compressed rotated log files to save disk space.
This approach was valuable in the early days where storage space was
limited.  However, the landscape has changed significantly.  Modern file
systems, such as ZFS, now offer native compression capabilities.
Additionally, the widespread availability of larger hard drives has
diminished the necessity for additional compression.  Notably, the need to
decompress log files for pattern searches poses a significant inconvenience,
further questioning the utility of this legacy feature.

In commit 906748d208d3, flags J, X, Y, Z can now indicate that a log file is
eligible for compression rather than directly enforcing it. It allows for a
more flexible approach, wherein the actual compression method can be set to
"none" or specified as one among bzip2, gzip, xz, or zstd.

Therefore I would propose that we change the default compression setting to
"none" in FreeBSD 15.0.  This change reflects our adaptation to the evolving
technological environment and user needs.  It also aligns with the broader
initiative to modernize our systems while maintaining flexibility and
efficiency.

I look forward to your thoughts and feedback on this proposal.

This is strange change at best.  I have no opinion about the disabling
of compression of the rotated logs by default, but we already have knobs
to do that.  Adding a knob that disables (or enables) other knobs to work
is weird.

If you want to change the compression, update the default configuration file.

The primary issue with simply updating the default configuration file is the increased workload it imposes during system upgrades. Since the compression method flag is a part of newsyslog.conf, standard conflict resolution tools like diff3 struggle to automatically resolve changes involving these flags without manual intervention. This situation necessitates that users manually reconcile their configuration with every update to newsyslog.conf, even for minor alterations like switching the default compression method.

Therefore, the proposal isn't about adding another knob within newsyslog.conf. Rather, it's about introducing a command-line option for newsyslog (to be used in /etc/crontab) that specifies the preferred compression method, or the choice not to compress at all. This approach is more self-contained compared to modifying each line in newsyslog.conf. It offers a simpler, more straightforward solution for administrators to manage their compression settings, reducing the administrative burden during upgrades.

I hope this clarifies the rationale behind the proposed changes and their potential benefits.