On 3/29/24 16:52, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
Hi,

sources from 2024-03-11 work. Sources from 2024-03-25 and today don't work (see below for the issue). As the monthly stabilisation pass didn't find obvious issues, it is something related to my setup:
 - not a generic kernel
 - very modular kernel (as much as possible as a module)
 - bind_now (a build without fails too, tested with clean /usr/obj)
 - ccache (a build without fails too, tested with clean /usr/obj)
 - kernel retpoline (build without in progress)
 - userland retpoline (build without in progress)
 - kernel build with WITH_CTF / DDB_CTF (next one to test if it isn't retpoline)
 - -fno-builtin
 - CPUFLAGS=native (except for stuff in /usr/src/sys/boot)
 - malloc production
 - COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe

The issue is, that kernel modules load OK from loader, but once it starts init any module fails to load (e.g. via autodetection of hardware or rc.conf kld_list) with the message that the kernel and module versions are out of sync and the module refuses to load.

I tried the workaround to load the modules from the loader, which works, but then I can't login remotely as ssh fails to allocate a pty. By loading modules via the loader, I can see messages about missing CTF info when the nvidia modules (from ports = not yet rebuild = in /boot/modules/...ko instead of /boot/kernel/...ko) try to get initialised... and it looks like they are failing to get initialised because of this missing CTF stuff (I'm back to the previous boot env to be able to login remotely and send mails, I don't have a copy of the failure message at hand).

I assume the missing CTF stuff is due to the CTF based pretty printing (https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=c21bc6f3c2425de74141bfee07b609bf65b5a6b3). Is this supposed to fail to load modules which are compiled without CTF data? Shouldn't this work gracefully (e.g. spit out a warning that pretty printing is not available for module X and have the module working)?

This is indeed how it works, those messages are emitted by CTF loading routines in 'kern/kern_ctf.c' as a warning and do not affect the rest of the module loading process.

However, I completely agree that they are cryptic and spammy, I'll try to do something about that.

Bojan