On 29. Jun 2024, at 03:26, Rick Macklem <rick.mack...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed FreeBSD current in a bhvye instance. Everything
> went ok, with UFS as a root partition.
> Then I created a zpool in another partition...
> - Now, every time I boot it I have to
>  OK set currdev=disk0s1a:
> to get it to boot.
>
> What is the trick to keep ZFS from messing up the boot variables?

I remember having this problem a few years ago. I see I have in an old startup
file, ‘-e “rootdev=disk0”’ to set a loader environment variable. I also recall
needing different Bhyve firmware, and I used gptboot. Some of these things
might have been for different reasons. Other details are fuzzy.

Regards,

Jan M.