> On Jul 24, 2024, at 06:50, Konstantin Belousov <k...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 12:34:57PM +0200, m...@freebsd.org wrote:

>>> Lets not allow this to be lost.  Could anybody confirm that the patch
>>> below fixes the issue?
>>>
>>> commit d560f4f6690a48476565278fd07ca131bf4eeb3c
>>> Author: Konstantin Belousov <k...@freebsd.org>
>>> Date:   Wed Jul 24 13:17:55 2024 +0300
>>>
>>>     rtld: avoid division in __thr_map_stacks_exec()
>>>     The function is called by rtld with the rtld bind lock write-locked,
>>>     when fixing the stack permission during dso load.  Not every ARMv7 CPU
>>>     supports the div, which causes the recursive entry into rtld to resolve
>>>     the  __aeabi_uidiv symbol, causing self-lock.
>>>     Workaround the problem by using roundup2() instead of open-coding less
>>>     efficient formula.
>>>     Diagnosed by:   mmel
>>>     Based on submission by: John F Carr <j...@mit.edu>
>>>     Sponsored by:   The FreeBSD Foundation
>>>     MFC after:      1 week
>>>
> Just realized that it is wrong.  Stack size is user-controlled and it does
> not need to be power of two.

Your change is correct.  _thr_page_size is set to getpagesize(),
which is a power of 2.   The call to roundup2 takes a user-provided
size and rounds it up to a multiple of the system page size.

I tested the change and it works.  My change also works and
should compile to identical code.  I forgot there was a standard
function to do the rounding.

> For final resolving of deadlocks, after a full day of digging, I'm very much
>> incline  of adding -znow to the linker flags for libthr.so (and maybe also
>> for ld-elf.so). The runtime cost of resolving all symbols at startup is very
>> low. Direct pre-solving in _thr_rtld_init() is problematic for the _aeabi_*
>> symbols, since they don't have an official C prototypes, and some are not
>> compatible with C calling conventions.
> I do not like it. `-z now' changes (breaks) the ABI and makes some symbols
> not preemtible.
>
> In the worst case, we would need a call to the asm routine which causes the
> resolution of the _eabi_* symbols on arm.

It would also be possible to link libthr with libgcc.a and use a linker map
to hide the _eabi_ symbols.