On Jul 26, 2024, at 16:44, Warner Losh <i...@bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 26, 2024, 5:37 PM Mark Millard <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> > I've set the stop-builds flag on the ampere machines.  I'll kick off a
>> > cluster build and upgrade them when they finish their current builds (or
>> > get stuck).
>> >
>> > Thanks for chasing this down.
>>
>> FYI: As stands, only main has the update. The MFC will not happen
>> for about a week. ampere1 and ampere3 should probably wait to
>> upate until after the MFC since they do not build main-armv7-* .
>>
>> Note: The fix is a world change, not a kernel change. So it is
>> the jail's world that matters.
>>
>> I'm not sure if any existing releng/13.*/ or releng/14.*/ will
>> get an update for this. stable/13/ and stable/14/ are likely to.
>
> I wonder if a rebuilt system will make it through an armv7 bsd-user poudriere
> bulk....

I assume that this wording is about having amd64 with qemu attempting
bulk -a for building amv7 packages, not about having aarch64 (without
qemu) bulk -a with armv7 jails do so (which are now being done). Have
I got that right?

(It appears that main used to have some prior use of the __aeabi_* in
question before the failure point, thereby historically avoiding the
recursive lock use deadlock. 13 and 14 are still operational for
bulk -a on aarch64 for armv7 jails --but are subject to breakage,
just like main was.)

If spreading the package-building load around more to amd64 contexts
was a goal, and if amd64 with qemu worked well for aarch64, one could
imagine having some of the aarch64 package builds on amd64 but all
the armv7 ones on the ampere*'s. This may be more likely to work
better overall than amd64 with qemu ever handling a 32-bit context
well (armv7 here).

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com