Miroslav Lachman <000.f...@quip.cz> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <d...@freebsd.org> writes:
> > This does cause the module to be loaded at boot time, but it's slower
> > than loading it later, and it increases memory fragmentation.
> Does this also apply today? I recently read from someone on a mailing
> list that the kld_list in rc.conf is no longer needed, that any
> problems it used to solve are solved,

Loader I/O performance is much better these days so loading modules
pre-boot doesn't slow the boot down much any more, but it's still more
than zero, and it still increases low memory fragmentation, and you
still can't unload a module that was loaded pre-boot.

> and that the preferred way is to load everything from loader.conf.

I suspect you're extrapolating here.  There is a very small number of
cases where loading pre-boot is required (e.g. zfs.ko if your root is on
zfs) or recommended (e.g. USB HID drivers due to probe ordering issues)
but in the majority of cases, it is still better (even if only slightly)
to wait until after boot.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@freebsd.org