On Tue, Jul 30, 2024, 4:50 AM Poul-Henning Kamp <p...@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
>
> > There is very little difference between options and devices in kernel
> > configuration files, but for what it's worth, filemon is a device, not
> > an option.
>
> Apart from the internals of config(8) and it's input data, is there
> any actual difference left ?

DEV_FOO is defined instead of FOO in the opt_*.h file is the only
difference since otherwise both are added. I think that config's grammer
only lets option foo=bar work, while device foo=bar does not.

For options like filemon that conditionally include whole files without
ifdefs elsewhere, there's no difference.

Warner