James Johnson writes:
> The method of building and installing a kernel to me seems a bit off.. Both
> the buildworld and installworld targets default to GENERIC, yet GENERIC is a
> file checked into the -CURRENT CVS repository.. Any changes to this file
> will get blown away if whenever you update the sources unless you explicity
> exclude this file. No one I know runs BSD with a GENERIC kernel, they have
> specific requirements for the hardware in their machines. Having to specify
> which kernel to build with the KERNEL= parameter seems to indicate that
> people should be running GENERIC kernels all the time as it is the default.
> This just doesnt seem right.

Now that it's all working properly, I like it. I build for multiple
machines on one box, and then NFS-mount /usr/src & /usr/obj to do the
installs. Being able to build all the kernels with one command, and
use the same install commands on each box makes my life much simpler.

As for GENERIC, it's what people run by default, and it can be used as
is on much hardware. The documentation is a bit behind - the handbook
should mention setting KERNEL in /etc/make.conf when it talks about
buildkernel and installkernel.

        <mike