In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mike Meyer writes:
: Will the system fail to boot if there isn't an empty device.hints
: file?

If the kernel doesn't have a hints file compiled into it, then you
will have problems.  However, you may not have a video console.  I've
been able to boot my laptop with a kernel that had no hints and this
was the result.  All the PCI based things worked, as did those things
that had a PnP ID, except the video console.

Warner