On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> I've seen these patches many times and think that it is a good idea.
> This interface needs to be exported so that the pccard system sounds
> don't interfere with normal systme sounds.

It needs locking changes to be exportable:

1) splhigh()/splx(), at least in RELENG_4 where there is no giant lock
   and spl*() has a non-null effect, so that callers don't need to know
   that it must be called at splsoftclock() or higher.
2) Honor the current locking protocol acquire_timer2()/release_timer2()
   -- don't do anything if (!beeping).

Bruce